This recipe was created over a fire in Moremi, Botswana in 2009. We were camping and roughing it. Being a foodie family “roughing it” is no excuse for bad food. We decided to make souskluitjies with a twist for dessert one evening and it worked out better than I expected. my mother-in-law is diabetic so the recipe was adjusted to have less sugar in it.
(Serves 4 – 6)
500 ml self-raising flour
60 g butter or margarine
2 ml salt
2 extra large eggs
60 ml milk
750 ml water
about 1l water
8 tablespoons of Nomu sugar free hot chocolate powder
30 ml butter or margarine
2 ml salt
1. Sift dry ingredients together. Rub butter into mixture, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Whisk egg and milk cut into dry mixture, to form a stiff dough.
3. Heat water in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil. Take spoonfuls of dumplings and spoon into water. Place lid on. Boil for 10 – 12 minutes, without removing lid.
4. Take dumplings out of and place in bowl. Repeat with remaining dumplings in saucepan.
5. Sauce: Mix all sauce ingredients, add to heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the dumpling to the sauce and boil for a futher 10 min or pour the sauce over the dumplings and leave for 20min in a warm oven.
(the souskluitjies can be made ahead of time and warmed up before serving. The longer they sit in the sauce the better)
6. We made diabetic friendly souskluitjies but if you have more of a sweet tooth then you can add a couple tablespoons of sugar to the sauce.
Left overs freeze well but must be covered completely with sauce to stop them drying out.