This is a recipe that was handed down from Dear Wife’s ouma. Somewhere along the line the recipe was lost. My brother-in-law found the recipe and there was much singing and rejoicing.
Makes 1 large cake. I made a double batch for the boys’ teddy cake and still had enough batter for 24 cupcakes. The boys finished a cupcake each as did DW, Angel Nanny, myself and a friend who came to visit. I haven’t even had a chance to ice them even.
4 extra large eggs
260g caster sugar
280g cake flour
15ml baking powder
125g butter or margarine
5ml vanilla extract / essence
1. Beat eggs and sugar until light and airy
2. Sieve the cake flour, baking powder and salt together. Then fold into the egg/sugar mix.
3. Heat butter and milk (BUT DON’T BOIL) then add the vanilla essence. Mix this into the flour/egg mix.
4. Fill two 20cm pans (greased)
5. Bake at 180 degrees in a preheated oven for 25 – 30 min (in a large teddy Wilton pan I found the cake needed 10 more minutes to be done). Allow cakes to cool down slightly and then remove onto a wire rack
6. Ice once cool