This is my go-to cake recipe and it is alway a crowd pleaser (unless the crowd has a peanut allergy, in which case it willstill knock ’em dead).
I almost feel like I am giving away my greatest cullinary secret by posting this. I hope you all enjoy it.
Makes 2 x 22cm cakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot coffee
4 heaped tbsn peanut-butter
Peanut-butter Chocolate Fudge Frosting
1/2 cup smooth peanutbutter
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2.5 cups icing sugar, sifted
3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsn milk/cream (I use a lot more)
Salted peanuts, for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c. Grease 2x22cm cake tins.
- Combine all the dry ingredients.
- Mix together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla and combine with the dry ingredients.
- Place the hot coffee and peanut-butter in a bowl and allow the peanut-butter to soften/melt slightly and incorporate into the batter. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tins and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. (If you feel that the cake is browning too quickly, turn the heat down half way)
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, beat the peanut-butter and the butter until well combined and fluffy.
- Slowly beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder until the mixture is quite stiff (it ends up looking like breadcrumbs when i make it). Add the vanilla and the milk/cream and beat until glossy and creamy.
- When the cakes are completely cooled, frost them using the peanut-butter frosting. Sprinkle over the salted peanuts and serve.
I usually decorate it with chopped peanut brittle and crushed Flake chocolate.